I hope that you are on a journey to self growth no matter what, and you want to reach your potential to not only prove yourself but also to improve yourself and explore the extraordinary capabilities of one’s mind.
Now, we move to the part 2 of the BRIGHTMINDS, tips and techniques to optimize and improve your brain and stay younger in terms of perspective and intellect and get better with every passing year.
M: Mental Health
Nurturing our minds is one of the best things we can do, to ourselves. We need to pause and listen to it, understand it. There are a millions of thoughts that cross our minds, it does not make any real.
It is only real when we obsess over it, its tough to focus on positive and suppress the negative, I know, that is why its important to take care of our minds as much as we can and seek professional advice when needed.
What all things can we do to make sure that we stay mentally fit?
- Train your mind, like you would train your body, treat it like a muscle that gets stronger with every repetition,
- If you want some peace of mind, meditation for about 20 mins a day is extremely helpful, you can reach unexplored states of mind and have an altered perception, it feels great and you will feel centered, it takes some time initially, just like going to the gym, you will see results later, but for sure they will show themselves, if you stick with the plan
- Question your thoughts: Thoughts can be both enlightening and deafening, you need to question them and try to understand them, why do they arise and if they even have any significance.
- Talk to your spirit in silence, the spirit (or subconscious/unconscious) knows what you want, listen to it in silence and talk to it, it may help you to find and pursue your purpose.
Taking care of the mind and mental health is of extreme priority, after all every thing that you do is choice of the mind, so you may want it to be better and healthier to make better choices. And the effects of growth is non linear, meaning a hike in one factor can compound with every iteration.
I: Immunity and Infection
How to improve immunity and fight of infections better with our natural defense systems, hopefully without the plethora of medicines.
Below are few simple tips to improve one’s immunity:
- Know and improve Vitamin D level by getting more sunlight/Vit D3 supplements.
- Maintain gut health by eating more whole foods and taking pro-biotics.
- Garlic, onion, and mushrooms help in improving immunity.
- Maintaining good sleep routine is of extreme importance, it not only gives the body and brain the much needed rest, but also repairs the broken pieces of us.
- Stay away from new for as much as you can, as they are a form of negative reinforcement, as they leverage the negativity bias that humans have cultivated and pay attention to.
- Listen to or read more Comedies (have fun and laugh whenever possible). I would suggest family sitcoms like: Friends, Seinfeld, and The office.
N: Neuro-Hormone abnormalities
Our hormones and state of mind have a huge impact on the body and the brain, this neuro-chemistry is what guides most of our actions.
- Thyroid, insulin, testosterone, estrogen, progesterone are the critical brain hormones.
- You have to know your hormones and know that if there is any fluctuations recorded in your medical history.
- Testosterone is responsible for mood, memory, motivation, and strength.
- Its important to say no to sugar and processed foods to maintain the quality of the hormone balance.
D: Diabetes (Overweight/ Diabetes/ Obesity)
One of the most common chronic diet related diseases, that is caused by both the prevalence of overeating food to regulate mood and a sedentary lifestyle of the modern world.
Type 2 diabetes is behavior induced and can be managed or prevented by taking a thoughtful look at our lifestyles.
We need to avoid food items that only release a lot of dopamine and almost no nutrients like: sugar, processed foods, and liquid calories(coke/soft drinks).
A few things that are to be done to combat diet related diseases are:
- Eat salad/ plant based food items (Healthy)
- Don’t give into Dopamine (This is the most serious of issues now)
- Say No to sleeping pills
- Moderate Exercise / Walking
Sleep is a very beautiful part of our journey, it not only provides the much deserved rest at the end of the day, but also repairs our broken pieces both of the mind and the body. To feel rested and to have a wonderful night’s sleep, some important points to keep in mind are:
- Try to avoid sleeping pills / Alcohol to assist you to sleep
- Some mindful practices (Meditation) can be of help too
- Screen time should be reduced to zero, one hour prior to sleeping
- Having a proper schedule helps
- Adding magnesium (bananas) to diet can induce more sleep
- Sleep enhancing music can help some people who face trouble sleeping.
I hope you remember MINDS, work on your Mental health, Improve your Immunity, be aware of the Neuro-Hormone imbalances and improve them, avoid Diabetes by subtle changes in your lifestyle, Sleep with a greater sense of relaxation.
Our subtle contributions to our health can have a huge impact to how we live our lives, especially over a longer periods of time. I hope that these tips can be of value to you and help you live a better and a more enhanced life.
A Student of life.
PS: If this post resonated with you, let me know in the comments, also share if you think it will be useful to others. Thank you, and have a great day.
All the images in this post are a courtesy of Pexels.com